23 Mar HOW TO TEST THE STRENGTH OF YOUR GOALS
How do I know if I really have a SOUND goal?
In PerfectTIMING (my book on time management) I talk about my SOUND Goal System. It suggests that every goal needs to be SPECIFIC (so there is that it is easily understood), OBJECTIVE (tied to a broader objective you are trying to reach), USEFUL (not only to your department, but to your entire organization), NUMBERS-oriented (so that we know very easily if you’ve achieved your goal), and DEADLINE-driven (to prove it’s done when you said it would be).
A CHECKLIST OF QUESTIONS YOU CAN ASK
Let’s take your goals one step further. Let’s put them through this test by asking these questions about every single goal you are working on…
1. What are you trying to achieve?
2. Why are you trying to achieve it?
3. How will you know when you get there?
4. When will it be accomplished?
5. Who will you need help from?
6. What action steps will be involved?
7. Do you know who will do those and by when?
8. Do you have a Plan B for each objective?
9. Are your goals in front of you each day?
10. How will you celebrate your success?